What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Post by robroy »

Thanks Robert! Good to know that it's holding up. That supply kit looks good too, and I like their "Hi Po Yellow" color OK. I know yellow's not a super popular color for these things, but I'm addicted to it.

Thanks again!!!
Robroy
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

I t hink having Tom do your engine is the way to go. By having him do the job you can do your job and you won't be tied up working on the engine. :thup:
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey George thanks for replying! Yeah I think you're absolutely right that this is the perfect move to make.

I now plan on hiring Tom and wrote him another long mail with lots of additional questions. I'm beginning the engine pull this afternoon, and will post photos as I go! I'm very excited to have found a way out of this jam!

Robert, thanks for suggesting FE Specialties. I think this is really going to work out!

Thanks George!
Robroy
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

A very sound decision in my opinion, I look forward to the "reborn" power plant, I'm confident that Tom will treat you right and give you good honest advice on anything he finds.

I don't suppose we could talk you into painting it blue or black... :wink: didn't think so. I'm just not a yellow kind of fellow and I will mention that form a practical standpoint it does show dirt, that can be both good and bad. :wink:

Please do keep us updated on the progress, as was mentioned (I think by Jamie) I'm pretty curious as to how the original build was and if you did get what you were told you were getting.

We love pictures... :wink: You can feel free to include some of the Datsun too...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Robroy, with as much time, effort and money as you've invested, why not take this time to paint the firewall on your truck?

You'll never have a better chance, nor will it ever be as easy as it will with the engine out.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Robert and 70_F100, thanks for replying!
DuckRyder wrote:A very sound decision in my opinion, I look forward to the "reborn" power plant, I'm confident that Tom will treat you right and give you good honest advice on anything he finds.
Thanks! Yeah this is the ideal solution to my scenario I think. Tom seems like the ideal engine guy so far!
DuckRyder wrote:I don't suppose we could talk you into painting it blue or black... :wink: didn't think so.
You know, I actually was imagining how it would look in a black gloss. There's something appealing about a black engine for sure! Blue engines are also very nice but I think I like black even better. The colors I'd consider are yellow, black, white, or gray, since these go with the color scheme I've already decided on. I've been meaning to post photos of how I had the seat re-done (it's unusual)!
DuckRyder wrote:I'm just not a yellow kind of fellow and I will mention that form a practical standpoint it does show dirt, that can be both good and bad. :wink:
I hear you! Yeah it's a very bright color and should show dirt and oil in a big way.
DuckRyder wrote:Please do keep us updated on the progress, as was mentioned (I think by Jamie) I'm pretty curious as to how the original build was and if you did get what you were told you were getting.
Indeed! I am very curious also, and promise to keep ya'll meticulously updated!
DuckRyder wrote:We love pictures... :wink: You can feel free to include some of the Datsun too...
Excellent! Unfortunately the Datsun is at my father's house. Some day I'll crack in to that project and post photos here for sure!
70_F100 wrote:Robroy, with as much time, effort and money as you've invested, why not take this time to paint the firewall on your truck?

You'll never have a better chance, nor will it ever be as easy as it will with the engine out.
Hey 70_F100 you're probably right! My reason for not painting it before was that I'd planned on removing the cab at a later time, while leaving the engine in the frame. Then I'd be re-doing the cab completely and it would get new paint then, before being dropped back on.

But it would be fairly easy to prep and paint it. I might start with Rust Bullet Automotive, then top coat with a custom mixed Wimbledon White. Or I could go the black route, although I've always liked the way the firewall looks better as it came from the factory (like Robert's truck).

Now that you point it out, I'll definitely consider giving it at least a temporary paint job before dropping the engine back in!

Robert and 70_F100, thanks again for your replies!
Robroy
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I don't know if this helps you visualize or not:

Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You know, I actually was imagining how it would look in a black gloss. There's something appealing about a black engine for sure! Blue engines are also very nice but I think I like black even better. The colors I'd consider are yellow, black, white, or gray, since these go with the color scheme I've already decided on
The early high performance engines were black (427's, 289 HP) often with gold or chrome valve covers. I think black would look very good, I considered it for mine (the above photo is pure POR15 prior to the blue topcoat). I have a book that deals almost exclusively with engine color schemes for Ford, I will have to dig it out, there was some pretty wild stuff...
Yeah it's a very bright color and should show dirt and oil in a big way.
That is part of the reason you'll find many racing engines painted light colors, to help spot leaks and so forth. Traco, in particular who built those off brand motors for Trans Am racing in the late 60's was quite famous for the gray they used.
Robert

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Robert thanks for replying!

Your engine does look good in black, but the blue you finished it with is super classic! And that's interesting to know about the black 427 and 289 HP.

Maybe if the block will be painted separately from the heads, I'll have the block painted black and the heads done bright yellow. That might look neat, since the valve covers are also black. I know this combo probably won't have wide appeal, but I'm just stuck on this bright yellow thing! You should see the seat I had made: #50's Bench!

Robert, I learned from one of your posts how to streamline the way links show up under the images, so only the file names appear now (instead of the full URL, which got clunky when I put two images and URLs side-by-side).

Here's the truck today before I started in:

IMG_4507.JPG

#50 taking a leak!

IMG_4508z.JPG

With the leak all wrapped up, I thought I'd pull the lower radiator hose. If I'd been thinking more carefully, I would have counted the number of gallons in the cooling system first, and realized that the leak was far from over.

IMG_4509z.JPG

And here's the price I paid. Oh well--that's what paper towels are good for!

IMG_4511z.JPG

The hose freshly removed.

IMG_4513z.JPG

My ever expanding fluid collection.

IMG_4526z.JPG

After a few rolls of paper towels, I finished detaching everything from the radiator support and began removing the body bolts.

IMG_4516z.JPG

I pulled the support off with the radiator still attached. It still had some coolant in it that just wouldn't drain, so it was heavy! I had the radiator cap off for a while and everything. Maybe I need to take a close look at the drain plug!

ImageImage
IMG_4517z.JPG IMG_4518z.JPG

IMG_4521z.JPG

IMG_4523z.JPG

ImageImage
IMG_4524.JPG IMG_4525.JPG

ImageImage
IMG_4532.JPG IMG_4533.JPG

Thanks for the super outstanding advice, and I'll keep ya'll updated!
Robroy
Last edited by robroy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordtastic

Post by Fordtastic »

drool! gorgeous stuff!
'72 F100 302 4sp manual
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Fordtastic wrote:drool! gorgeous stuff!
Hey Fordtastic thanks for replying! Glad you like it, but this beauty may be only skin deep! Tom's report will be fascinating.

Robroy
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I'd keep it yellow, it does grow on you. What color is the truck going to end being? Do something that compliments it so they look good together. Mine truck is grabber blue and the engine is Ford red from the '50's cars. It close, but brighter than the IH red which the motor was sourced from.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

I vote for yellow! My first car in 1961 was a 53 Merc. flathead that I painted the engine yellow, the car was all black. I almost painted the 390 in my 68 yellow because the truck is all black.it would have been a tribute to my first car. If I have ever have to pull the engine it will be yellow when it goes back in. :)
iamthewreckingcrew

Post by iamthewreckingcrew »

Wow.

I read this thread when it only had a couple replies and though I couldn't watch the vids, I didn't think it would turn into something as serious as it did.

You got some really good help and advice though, and looks like you have a good solution planned out. You also seem like you are keeping your cool pretty well. I think I would be in more of a sour mood over something like this.

I read most of your threads and enjoy following your detailed progress. Just want to wish you luck on the rest of the build.
68 F-100 Short Box 2wd
302/c4/3.50
81 F-100 Long Box 2wd
460/c6/3.00
92 F-150 Lariat 4wd
302/auto couldn't go wrong for $500
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hey Jamie, George, and IAmTheWreckingCrew, thanks for replying!
Ranchero50 wrote:I'd keep it yellow, it does grow on you. What color is the truck going to end being? Do something that compliments it so they look good together.
Here's how the truck is going to look in its final form. You can see how both the black and the yellow could work! The white's going to remain Wimbledon White, while the yellow will be a similar shade to my bench seat. The yellow ink in this drawing I made turned out a little more orange than I intended.

Ranchero50 wrote:Mine truck is grabber blue and the engine is Ford red from the '50's cars. It close, but brighter than the IH red which the motor was sourced from.
Hey that sounds like an excellent combination too!
george worley wrote:I vote for yellow! My first car in 1961 was a 53 Merc. flathead that I painted the engine yellow, the car was all black. I almost painted the 390 in my 68 yellow because the truck is all black.it would have been a tribute to my first car. If I have ever have to pull the engine it will be yellow when it goes back in. :)
Hey George! I was beginning to think I was the only one who'd gone crazy over yellow here! I'll bet that flathead looked fantastic.
iamthewreckingcrew wrote:Wow.

I read this thread when it only had a couple replies and though I couldn't watch the vids, I didn't think it would turn into something as serious as it did.
Indeed, nor did I!
iamthewreckingcrew wrote:You got some really good help and advice though, and looks like you have a good solution planned out.
I think so! If it weren't for the generous advice I've received here, I probably very well may have trashed the engine! Plus, this opportunity to have an engine put together by a big, famous engine builder, then pulled apart and inspected by an FE expert, is quite rare indeed. The results will be most telling!
iamthewreckingcrew wrote:You also seem like you are keeping your cool pretty well. I think I would be in more of a sour mood over something like this.
Thanks! I'm a student of practical philosophy (Napoleon Hill, Earl Nightingale, Maxwell Maltz, Bob Proctor, and Leland Val Van de Wall), and I care about attitude very much. Naturally I've had moments of disenchantment with my situation, but I monitor my thinking and replace those thoughts with positive ones in an aggressive way. The most important technique I've used here has been to take full responsibility for my results, because I know that any problem I've created is a problem I can fix. Blame's a trap!
iamthewreckingcrew wrote:I read most of your threads and enjoy following your detailed progress. Just want to wish you luck on the rest of the build.
Thanks very much! I'm glad you enjoy my detailed progress!

Jamie, George, and IAmTheWreckingCrew, thanks again for your excellent replies!
Robroy