Temperatures: oil and water. Why measure both?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Temperatures: oil and water. Why measure both?

Post by robroy »

Good evening,

While looking at lots of gauges online lately I've noticed that both oil and water temperature gauges are produced.

Why measure both? What good is an oil temperature reading if you've already got the water temperature?

Thanks very much!
-Robroy
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: Temperatures: oil and water. Why measure both?

Post by FORDification »

Oil temperature probes usually screw into the oil filter housing area to measure oil temp after it goes through oil cooler and right before it goes to oil pump. These are typically used with air-cooled engines, since obviously there's no water to measure. It might serve to give you an early warning if you've got bearing problems, for example, since any heat rise will show up faster than with a water temp gauge. On a street-driven truck, they're really not necessary and is pretty much useless information, especially when using today's hi-tech synthetic oils. IMO as long as you've got a good water temperature gauge, you'll be just fine.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Keith! Thanks very much for answering my question; your answer makes complete sense. I forgot about air cooled engines!

-Robroy
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

They are also used on race cars. When we raced on the dirt ovals we had both and they do not read synonymous with each other. Oil temp might go over your max and not the coolant, or visa versa. Keith is right, not really needed on a street car.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi WillowBilly3, thanks for your post. That's pretty interesting! It sounds like a lot of gauges to watch when you're in a race!

-Robroy
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Keep "in block" temp below 260*. 220* or below is good. Above 260* bad things happen. 8)
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

robroy wrote:Hi WillowBilly3, thanks for your post. That's pretty interesting! It sounds like a lot of gauges to watch when you're in a race!

-Robroy
Too many. lol, they were more for the pit guys to look at when he came in. I read a story once about a crew chief that put tape over the gauges so the driver wouldn't be looking at them and thinking. I used to tease drivers about that when they started fretting.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.