fuel tank

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

dano31

fuel tank

Post by dano31 »

i have tried to clean my tank withall sorts of acid and rusto removers but no luck. i looked up the new lmc magazine gast tank thats at a reasonable price but thinking about it i really want to take my gas tank out of my cab and put it else were since this is my daily. has anyone put it in the frame behind the rear axel? what kind of gas tank did you put? does any other gas tank from another car fit?

i have a 68 bump side short bed
live the life you love and love the life you live-bm
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: fuel tank

Post by Joshpow »

Check this out. This guy used a different truck, but I'm sure you'd have no problems doing this to a bump. He's putting a mustang tank in behind the axles.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... highlight=
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

There was no factory tank behind the axl. There's a thread here that someone modified a Mustang tank to fit but It's a lot of fabricating.

You might be able to use a a factory aux tank but i'm not sure on the short beds. You'd need everything from the donor truck though. Including the parking brake cable, mounting brackets, skid plate, filler neck, the metal guard inside the bed that guards the filler neck, fuel line, sending unit wires/plugs ect.

I would just get a new cab tank. I don't see everyones problem with them. It isn't going to leak unless you tear the sending unit gasket or filler tube. If you get into a wreak and you get hit hard enough to puncture that tank, you'll be dead anyway. Those tanks are strong and heavy and I feel safe with mine. You will NOT gain any leg room by removing it.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

Mine ain't a seafety issue. If I moved mine, it would be to have a little storage room behind the seat. I agree that a wreck that would harm the tank probably would kill you anyway.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
dano31

Post by dano31 »

thats basically what i wanna do i want to add a lil sound system to my stock radio with ipod hook up and a lil storage area thats basically it sometimes the smell gets out idk why since i have replaced the filler neck and that one gasket quick question is the frame from a 60 f100 the same as the 67-72?
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

I don't think they are exactly the same, but I'm sure they are close enough to work one of those tanks in. I know what you mean about smell. Sometimes I get a whiff in the cab, but I got a girlfriend that doesn't mind and being a redneck wrench turner, I don't care either. So, I can survive with mine. I also hate to mod that much on the cab and frame yet. The guy's info may give a measurement to compare to our trucks.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
dano31

Post by dano31 »

i was on ebay right now and saw a replacement in frame fuel tank. it shows no demensions so idk or im just going to put the tank in the front part of the bed up against the cab and hard line all the way down to the fuel line maybe that will do for now.
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mrtleavitt »

I found an after market behind the axle tank just for shortbed or longbed Fords from 67-72. It was a custom place in Florida but they wanted $900! I can't find the site, it's driving me nuts! I'll let you know when I find it again. It was a direct bolt up, no cutting or moving the cross members, option for in the tank fuel pump, about 19.5 gallons. It hung about 4 inches below the frame so it would probably go fairly unnoticeable.
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

i was looking at a internatonal scout II behind the axle tank. should have took measurement to see if it was the right size. It looked very close
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

marine6212 wrote:
I remember my Dad buying a old truck with a rusty gas tank and we put some rocks in it shook the Hell out of it and it seems that we got about a cup of rust out of that tank. Then he took it to the Radiator shop and they Hot Tanked it. and he never had any more problems out of it.
Might be your answer.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
dano31

Post by dano31 »

im gonna try that today when i get off of work im begining to hate hurricane season i work nights pipe welding and im trying to make enough hours before they shut the plant down!

whats hot tanking? that might be a stupid question or i might just call it diffrent
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

I have heard the rocks trick too. Another thing that will help some is shake methanol in the tank. It will break the stuff lose some. We used methanol on a tractor tank once and so far, no rust plugs in the line or filter again.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
marine6212

Re: re: fuel tank

Post by marine6212 »

dano31 wrote: whats hot tanking? that might be a stupid question or i might just call it diffrent
It's a tank that they put metal parts in and spray it with 300-1000 degrees water or other cleaning agent!! We have a old one at work that was used till it rusted out from lack of cleaning. We used CitriKleen in it..

Semperfi,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mrtleavitt »

Something to use besides rocks could be chains. I cleaned my tank with a chain and that did the trick for mine. Putting a chain in the tank was a little more comforting than rocks, just a little though. :lol:
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

Hadn't thought of chain. That would be easier to get out than rocks. Just get the end of the chain and it'll all follow. Good thinking.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke