hot start problem

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

hot start problem

Post by Kurt Combs »

I have been chasing this problem for a long time. 1972 F250 with a stock 360. Cranks for a long time before starting when warm. I have changed the fuel pump and timing chain, rebuilt the carb, and checked settings. Still hard starting when warm. I am beginning to get suspicious that it gets 700 miles to a quart of oil after a change, and then the miles per quart seems to decrease. Worried that I am getting fuel in the oil. My drive to work is 34 miles each way, so I would think it would heat the oil enough to get rid of any gasoline. I am thinking about replacing the stock two barrel carb with a Edelbrock four barrel to see if that solve the problem. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Kurt
Kurt
1972 F-250
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: hot start problem

Post by kaptnkaos »

Hey Kurt...

Most of the time when there are probems with it starting when warm, it is the ignition system.
Check the cables and connections for corrosion...
Check the ground wire to the block...
Check the battery voltage.
A weak battery will cause it, as will a tired starter.
Either will make it start just fine when cold, but after the engine warms up, the windings in the starter expand as does the rest of the engine parts, thus requiring more power going through the starter to crank the engine over fast enough to start.
I battled the same thing with the '71 CS I eventually parted out...
I replaced the starter and never had the problem again...
In fact, that same starter is now in my '68 CS... :D
Re the oil: It sounds like your oil might be breaking down, next time you change oil try Mobil 5000, it is really good and resisits break down better than most.
Single viscosity oils also resist break down better than multi viscosity oils do.
A few things can cause gas to get into the engine block, but it has a strong smell of gasoline... there is no mistaking it... burnt or broken down oil can have a gas like smell, but it is not nearly as strong as having raw gas in the oil.
One sure sign of getting gas into the oil is that the oil level will appear to increase... :thup:

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
derek7871

Post by derek7871 »

My '68 360 was quitting and was hard to start when warm. It finally quit when I installed the Petronix II kit. I don't know if it was the coil or the points and condenser that was worn out, but it was $130 well spent.

There are a lot of posts here about vapor lock. Apparently if your fuel line to the carb is too close to something hot, it makes it hard to start when warm.

Cooter
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

Thanks gusys for the replies,

After I get my new Bend Pak asymetrical two post lift install :D , I will take a look at the starter and wiring. Yes, I ordered the lift yesterday and being I am in California I will most likely have it in a week. I can't wait to have my own lift in my own shop!!! This has been a year coming and I am almost moved in. :woohoo: :woohoo: :D :D :D

Thanks again, Kurt
Kurt
1972 F-250