Electronic ignition

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

LOWERED 69

Electronic ignition

Post by LOWERED 69 »

Will this distributor fit in my 69? I have a 390 FE how would I wire this up?
I have the points dizzy in my bump and the points always seem to let me down when I need the truck the most. I was 2 hours late for work yesterday so I figure this is atleast a good investment for me and my truck. :wink:
http://www.partsamerica.com/productdeta ... 18&PTSet=A
Dan
'69 F350 Crew Cab
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Electronic ignition

Post by Joshpow »

You would have to have an ignition control box to put it in your truck. You could use one from a dentside truck as well as other Ford vehicles of that general era. As best as I remember, it doesn't matter what engine the donor vehicle had. I got a box and harness from a 77, but I am unsure of whether the box is any good. I never attempted to fire up the 460 in it, so the box may not be any good.

Here is the box I'm talking about. Then, You'd need a harness to connect the distributor and coil to this box.

Another suggestion would be a Petronix Ignitor or IgnitorII. I got an ignitor on my 72 302 and it made a world of difference. It all fits under the cap on the points type distributor. Just a little box to replace the points, a magnet wheel on the dizz cam and set the gap. Wire it up on the coil and you're ready. Just a suggestion if this is too big an issue for you. I know they offer it for all Ford v8's.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
LOWERED 69

Post by LOWERED 69 »

It says on the description without module. when I looked it up it had two choices one with a module and one without. Does that mean its the external control box your talking about or is the module the one thats in place of where the points would be?
Dan
'69 F350 Crew Cab
390F100

Post by 390F100 »

Hey I just bought the Pertronix Igniter II with the coil that Pertronix makes, I think it is called the blaster and it took me honestly less than 5 minutes to install and even though I havent fired up my engine yet from what I heard it will be well worth my investment. Just a side note about points, one night I was driving to my bros house and my truck started backfiring and it progressively got worse unitl it shot I'm guessing 10ft. flames out of each tail pipe. Although it looked awesome at night and sounded like someone shot a 12ga. the truck was unpredictable and and a problem. I know my ignition will be reliable and I wont have to deal with points ever again. The best 100.00 I ever spent...
LOWERED 69

Post by LOWERED 69 »

Ive been considering getting the pertronix but my distributor needs to be replaced too. So I figured I could kill two birds with one stone with the newer distributor. But if it needs a module that sounds like a big headache. Other than the pertronix are there any issues with them or ones I should look out for?
Dan
'69 F350 Crew Cab
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Joshpow »

I'm not sure of the module. There is also a module in the dizzy. It looks like that was in it though. You may just have to call the parts store on that one.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

If it's the dizzy from a 75-76 FE Then yes. Get an MSD 6A box. Easy and reliable.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!