1970 F250CS runs Crappy!!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

marine6212

1970 F250CS runs Crappy!!

Post by marine6212 »

Hey guy's,
I have a question about my truck :oops: I finally got it running and I have drove it a little. It's manual 4 speed and it idles a little high but when I try to excelerate it doesn't get up and go!! It seems like it bogs down. I have tried to adjust the carb with the 2 screws on the front of it. (a autolite 2100) everything on this truck is stock/ original. I have adjusted the distributer nothing seems to help....

Could some one give me some pointers or point me in the right direction????

Semperfi,
Marine6212
We all came together, both young and old.
To fight for our freedom, to stand and be bold.
In the midst of all evil, we stand our ground.
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
DuckRyder

re: 1970 F250CS runs Crappy!!

Post by DuckRyder »

If it is idling high and the idle speed screw will not lower it (near the throttle linkage)

I would look at:

Vacuum leaks
Distributor (specifically the centrifugal advance weight springs)

First.

I think I recall that this truck is a 360?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
dano31

Post by dano31 »

my bump used to do that too my fuel filter and fuel line was real dirty. i used a compressor with a nozzle and blew it all out and then i added gasoline and starting fluid and cleaned it out again but now im having trouble with a dirty gast tank
live the life you love and love the life you live-bm
marine6212

Post by marine6212 »

The engine is a 390!

Semperfi,
Marine6212
And we protect our country from all terror around. Peace and not war, is what some people say. But I'll give my life, so you can live the American way. I give you the right to talk of your peace. To stand in your groups, and protest in our streets. But still I fight on, I don't bitch, I don't whine.
marine6212

Re: re: 1970 F250CS runs Crappy!!

Post by marine6212 »

dano31 wrote:my bump used to do that too my fuel filter and fuel line was real dirty. i used a compressor with a nozzle and blew it all out and then i added gasoline and starting fluid and cleaned it out again but now im having trouble with a dirty gast tank
I remember my Dad buying a old truck with a rusty gas tank and we put some rocks in it shook the He** out of it and it seems that we got about a cup of rust out of that tank. Then he took it to the Rad shop and they Hot Tanked it. and he never had any more problems out of it.

Semperfi,
Marine6212
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Yup like DuckRyder says, vacuum leak or distributor advance troubles. The base plate the point screw to make get stuck in the advanced position, you should check as well as the mechanical advance.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
SecondCamperSpecial

Post by SecondCamperSpecial »

What happens when you adjust the two screw in front.. Does it make any difference. High idle is usually caused by improperly set base idle screw on side of carb, choke not opening, or vacuum leak. Check these first. Check you breaker plate in the distributor for slop. It should have none.
1968 F250 Camper Special 390
1964 Galaxie hardtop 352
1967 Cougar project
1993 F350 Crew cab 5.8
1988 Bronco 5.8 C6
1966 Mustang fast back project
New 1962 Falcon Gasser project