HELP Please OIL Pressure "None"

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

slamons

HELP Please OIL Pressure "None"

Post by slamons »

Just attempted to replace distributor, Heard clunk in pan, now no oil pressure "what did I #*^% up now?
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: HELP Please OIL Pressure "None"

Post by kaptnkaos »

The oil pump dropped....

The dizzy sits in a slot in the oil pump.
I'm not sure which one drives the other... but they do work together.
I'm not sure if you can get from the top side...
you may haveta pull the pan, bit I'm not sure...
Hopefully someone will know a way to fix it without pulling the pan.
Good luck...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
slamons

Post by slamons »

Exactly what I was afraid of.................CRAP...............
Somebody Please tell me I can insert a new rod from the top,
I speant 1 week on my back pulling the pan due to an oil leak, Then I found it wasnt a gasket, PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME GOOD NEWS..
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You can insert one from the top. sometimes you can fish the old one out trough the drain plug if you are both very patient and very lucky.

Obviously it would be best to get it out, but it really won't hurt anything, and I've seen pans with more than one in there...

edit: it isn't the "oil pump" but "oil pump drive shaft".
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

One of my friends did that years ago. When he was "bumping" the engine over with a remote starter button one of the throws on the crankshaft drove that shaft out the bottom of the pan just like hitting a nail with a hammer. :eek: :eek:

I was :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and couldn't stop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thup:

:fr:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

I'm assuming you have an FE. Not a big deal to drop the pan. Just remove the motor mount nuts and lift the engine with a hoist as high as it'll go. No need to unbolt tranny cross members or anything. Remove the tranny lines from the radiator first if you have them. It's not difficult.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

When I was in the Navy I drove my 70 250 miles on a Friday night to use a garage to replace the worn out 390 with a better (I thought) worn out 410. I got the old one out and switched the 4x4 pan, intake manifold, yada, yada, over on the floor. I decided to prime the oil pump and drop the new distributor in once I got it in the truck so the dizzy wouldn't be in the way of the chain I was using. I went to prime the dizzy at 10 PM sunday night. I forgot to install the oil pump drive (it goes in from the bottom because it has a clip to prevent it from coming out the top when you pull the dizzy). I tried to install the pump drive from the top. It went straight into the pan. I could see it, but to save my life no magnetic device or conglomeration of bailing wire could fetch it up.

I cussed and sweared up a storm, kicked some stuff around and about midnight I was dropping the pan in the truck. I fired the engine at 2AM and hit the road for a 250 mile drive a half hour later.

FE's are good, tough engines, but they do need an oil pump. The pans are not difficult to drop in the truck with a way to lift the engine up as high as it will go. I would not leave the pump drive in the pan, and I would make sure to put the drive in from the bottom WITH the little clip in place so this whole ordeal can't happen again.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

averagef250 wrote: FE's are good, tough engines, but they do need an oil pump. :D The pans are not difficult to drop in the truck with a way to lift the engine up as high as it will go. I would not leave the pump drive in the pan, and I would make sure to put the drive in from the bottom WITH the little clip in place so this whole ordeal can't happen again.
I think this is the best advise anyone can give. :thup:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

They do definitely need an oil pump.

The clip on the other hand... That thing is wasted time and money because the shaft sticks so hard in the bottom of the distributor that all the clip does is hold the distributor in. It just makes it harder to remove the distributor. :wink:

ARP makes a shaft that is larger in the middle and is more difficult to drop into the pan.

Looking at this particular predicament, it is a holiday weekend, unless you live next to summit racing or jegs and they happen to be open tomorrow, your chances of coming up with an oil pan gasket are much better than they are of coming up with an oil pump drive shaft.

While I would say the oil pan is definitely not a cake walk, you should be able to do it in a few hours and be riding tomorrow, instead of waiting until wednesday or thursday for parts.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

When I replaced the 360 in my '69 I pulled the pan and found three oil pump shafts in the bottom of the pan. The PO musta had a bad time with those things. :lol:
ford4x4fun
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ford4x4fun »

I still have one in the bottom of my Oil Pan :thup: My Dad dropped it in like 95. That is about 4 trips to and from CO from KY. Not saying it is the best thing, but hasn't seemed to hurt anything. When I get back the motor is getting a new paint job and all new rubber so I will fish it out than. my :2cents:
CNR Radio Instructor
US ARMY Retired
1971 Ford F100 4x4 (390)
2015 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.7l
F10YRB12118

Post by F10YRB12118 »

Oh crap.

I just replaced a blown head gasket and when trying to put my dizzy back in I heard a crash down inside the engine. I had no idea what was up and just thought I bumped something.

No after reading this post I think I'm screwed.

Several of you have commented about raising up the engine. But leaving it attached to the tranny and drive train? That is so that you can get more space between the oil pan and cross member? If I do all that how do I reattach the oil pump shaft?

What is the best resource to study up on how I'm going to fix this screw up?

yours
Sean
1942 Chevy Truck, 1.5 Ton, G503
1967 F100 352 LWB Custom Cab
1969 Bronco Wagon 302
1972 F100 360 SWB 4x4 XLT
1972 F250 360 LWB Parts Donor
1973 F250 360 LWB 4x4 Donor?
1979 F250 460 Parts Donor
DuckRyder

Re: re: HELP Please OIL Pressure "None"

Post by DuckRyder »

F10YRB12118 wrote:Several of you have commented about raising up the engine. But leaving it attached to the tranny and drive train? That is so that you can get more space between the oil pan and cross member? If I do all that how do I reattach the oil pump shaft?
Yes it is to gain room. You should be able to get a few extra inches.

Once the pan is loose, you have to unbolt the oil pump and drop it into the pan. Then the pan will slide out.

The oil pump drive is just a hexagonal rod, nothing holds it in beyond the little clip that is supposed to keep it from coming out the top or moving upward enough to disengage the oil pump but doesn't.

Once the pan is out, you can insert the pump drive but will have to devise a way to hold it in place until you get the pump back on. I use safety wire wrapped around it and out out to the pan rail. A large rubber band would also work, or if you don't care about the clip you can put the shaft in from the top after the pump is back in place but before buttoning up the pan.

While the pan and pump is out glue the pan gasket and pump gasket to one surface or the other (obviously after cleaning them all up) with something like weather strip adhesive. I do them to the pan and pump.

Then slide the pan back into place with the pump in it. Reinstall the pump making sure the drive shaft engages, then the pan.

The pump is the worst part of this whole ordeal. (Well except for cleaning 40+ year old parts.)

As far as studying up, we talked about doing the pan with the engine in quite a bit in the past, you might pick up some extra tricks from those threads.
Robert

slamons

Post by slamons »

Thank you all for the help, I dont drive this much so I am in no hurry to drop the pan, I had it out a few weeks ago, the problem is I had Hand surgery a couple months ago, Cannot feel the bolts, and bolt holes, took me forever to put it back together.....
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: re: HELP Please OIL Pressure "None"

Post by sideoilerfe »

DuckRyder wrote:
Once the pan is loose, you have to unbolt the oil pump and drop it into the pan. Then the pan will slide out.
No you don't. Just raise the engine high enough and the pan will come off without unbolting the pump. Maybe F100s are different but on my '72 F250, I had no problem.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!