What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Post by robroy »

Hey Fordman thanks for replying!
fordman wrote:before you ship it off. i would remove those serpatine belt pulleys and keep them with you. they could get lost and arent really needed at the rebuild place are they?
Yeah you're probably right. I'd initially spoken to Tom and agreed to put the V belt stuff back on (at least on the water pump and crankshaft), but I started to have second thoughts. The custom spacer I had made to locate the crankshaft pulley might be very hard to remove, since it's soft aluminum and it has nowhere to grab! It's pressed right up against a big flat on the balancer. The only way to grab it might risk scratching it up, and it's a pretty tight fit on the crankshaft pilot.

But today the reality of getting it ready sunk in and I realized that I'll need to postpone the delivery until Monday. If I scrambled like crazy I could probably have it there by 5PM today, but then I'd be finding my way back in the dark and all. It would be better to depart early in the morning on a day when I was already totally prepared. I want to be confident that I'm bringing all the right things!

This will give me a chance to strip the rest of the paint, remove those March pulleys, and get 100% organized!

Thanks again Fordman!
Robroy
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Good plan, nothing like being rushed to make things go wrong. Suggestion being use the satellite views on google to familiarize yourself with the area around his shop in case your directions or the garmin send you down a dead end street. Been there, done that.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I agree with getting as much paint as possible off of it before taking it to Tom.

Of course it will still have to be thoroughly degreased when it returns, but I t will be easier to clean and take if the paint is off already...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Jamie and Robert, thanks for your excellent replies!
Ranchero50 wrote:Good plan, nothing like being rushed to make things go wrong. Suggestion being use the satellite views on google to familiarize yourself with the area around his shop in case your directions or the garmin send you down a dead end street. Been there, done that.
You know, that's a great idea, thanks! I'll do that. I heard from Tom that his place is very easy to find, so hopefully I won't get too lost!
DuckRyder wrote:I agree with getting as much paint as possible off of it before taking it to Tom.

Of course it will still have to be thoroughly degreased when it returns, but I t will be easier to clean and take if the paint is off already...
I think you're right; removing a bunch of paint makes sense at this point! I spent some time this afternoon stripping a bunch of the paint off, yet naturally, it wasn't easy to access shrouded surfaces (like under the water pump).

The paint itself came off quite easily though. So easily (after brake cleaner), that I'd call it rubbing or blowing the paint off! After soaking in brake cleaner for a few minutes, I was able to literally blow the paint off many areas (using the brake cleaner aerosol).

The paint came off so easily, that I'm thinking of asking Tom to go ahead and remove it while he has the parts all separated from one another. All he'd need to do is hit it with brake cleaner and brush the paint off with a wire brush--it comes right off!

Here's the driver's side of the block after a mere twenty minutes of effort (much of which was simply spraying the cleaner on).

I made another bare patch on the back:

Perhaps this is the most impressive. 95% of the removed paint on this side was blown off with the force of the brake cleaner can!

Knowing that I had only a few hours of daylight left, I cut the paint removal activity short and began removing the March pulleys. I placed the V belt pulleys on the engine just to keep track of them.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Despite my measurements I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be able to sneak the engine in without removing my camper shell.

Just barely made it!

ImageImage

With the engine in the truck, I began reminding myself how to tie knots! I only remembered how to make two real knots: the bowline and the figure eight. So I tied bowlines and used figure eights to form a stop on the bitter end, to keep the bowlines from coming undone. Here's the bowline:

The main trouble I've had with the bowline is that it seems difficult to adjust the rope tension once the knot is tied (or even immediately before). It's hard for me to make a snug tether using these knots.

Does anybody know of another simply knot that might better suit this situation? I'll posts photos of exactly how I have the ropes tied tomorrow.

Tomorrow is FE Specialties delivery day!

Thanks for all the outstanding, generous help!
Robroy
george worley
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by george worley »

I'm wondering if industrial yellow like what Caterpillar uses on their diesel engines would be yellow enough for your tastes. My good freind who works on Caterpillar equipment says their paint really holds up well on their engines and equipment. :2cents:
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

You can buy the Cat paint as spray engine enamel, I think from Dupli-Color or Plasti-Cote.

Might not be a bad idea.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

That paint is amazingly horrible...

I really think for all the money that is going to end up in this engine and since it is going to be at least most of the way (if not all) disassembled, definitely ask if he can have the parts cleaned at least. If you don't get all of that old paint out of the pores in the cast iron is just going to give the new paint a starting point for peeling.

It is possible that it could be done without damaging the existing cam bearings if they do not already require replacement. Actual "vats" are becoming less and less common and what is used a lot now amounts to a huge enclosed hot pressure washer.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
r71f250

Post by r71f250 »

DuckRyder wrote:That paint is amazingly horrible...

I really think for all the money that is going to end up in this engine and since it is going to be at least most of the way (if not all) disassembled, definitely ask if he can have the parts cleaned at least. If you don't get all of that old paint out of the pores in the cast iron is just going to give the new paint a starting point for peeling.

It is possible that it could be done without damaging the existing cam bearings if they do not already require replacement. Actual "vats" are becoming less and less common and what is used a lot now amounts to a huge enclosed hot pressure washer.
I have to agree with you. Sad that he will have to spend $$$ 2 times for a engine. I don't want to jump to conclusions about his previous engine builder, they seem to have a good reputation, but there are 2 coats of paint. The red paint then the yellow paint... I came accross this...

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/spe ... 425hp.html

Engine at the right side is red named "Art" on it... I don't think its the same engine, but maybe... how many engines are painted red?

Also, RobRoy after reading about FE's it seems hard to believe the HP & Tq #'s without some head porting (not trying to imply anything just a opinon not fact and my opinion does not matter here). I emailed I think it was tom at Fe Specialties and after reading and researching they are the #1 choice for FE's period. They are going to rebuild my 390 when I get the cash together shortly. I got a fair estimate and I know they will get your 390 back to the way it should be. I am looking at about 360hp & 450-460 ft lbs with a torque port on the heads... I can't wait... Also, RobRoy thanks for the deminsions of the wood platform to transport your engine, that solved my problem for transporting my engine to FE Specialties.... Good luck and keep us informed.

Blessings,
AMS
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

r71f250 wrote:
DuckRyder wrote:That paint is amazingly horrible...

I have to agree with you. Sad that he will have to spend $$$ 2 times for a engine. I don't want to jump to conclusions about his previous engine builder, they seem to have a good reputation, but there are 2 coats of paint. The red paint then the yellow paint... I came accross this...

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/spe ... 425hp.html

Engine at the right side is red named "Art" on it... I don't think its the same engine, but maybe... how many engines are painted red?

Also, RobRoy after reading about FE's it seems hard to believe the HP & Tq #'s without some head porting (not trying to imply anything just a opinon not fact and my opinion does not matter here). I emailed I think it was tom at Fe Specialties and after reading and researching they are the #1 choice for FE's period. They are going to rebuild my 390 when I get the cash together shortly. I got a fair estimate and I know they will get your 390 back to the way it should be. I am looking at about 360hp & 450-460 ft lbs with a torque port on the heads... I can't wait... Also, RobRoy thanks for the deminsions of the wood platform to transport your engine, that solved my problem for transporting my engine to FE Specialties.... Good luck and keep us informed.

Blessings,
AMS

when you click "live run" it shows a video of robroys engine....

lol... and he calls it a 460..
Fordtastic

Post by Fordtastic »

ok found it

All of our turn-key crate engines come with a 1 year warranty with unlimited mileage

they wouldnt honour it?
'72 F100 302 4sp manual
r71f250

Post by r71f250 »

when you click "live run" it shows a video of robroys engine....

lol... and he calls it a 460..[/quote]

I saw that too, but did not want to add to the fire.... :doh:

Blessings,
AMS
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

What about the following quote:

"Block Painted With 3 Coats Of High Temp Ceramic Engine Paint Customers Choice Of Color"

There is no way that paint was high-temp OR ceramic.

I also question the HP and torque specs that he provided to Robroy, because in the video, he said, "Everything is custom built. We never put the same camshaft in different motors." How does he know what the HP and torque specs are for ANY motor he builds, when he sets it on a wooden frame with exhaust running through the wall, and doesn't put them each on a dyno?????

The more I read, the more I think Robroy should go back and, like Jed Clampett said, "...have a long talk with that boy..."
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

The engine delivery to Tom at FE Specialties was a success! I have lots of photos so I'll need to split them up across several posts.

The weather was perfect this morning. Here's the Salinas Valley.

Here's how the ropes turned out in the end!

ImageImage

70_F100, thanks so much for suggesting the Taut Line Hitch; it's my new favorite! It was very easy to tie, adjust, and take apart when I got there. It also seemed quite sturdy!

I combined the method suggested by Robert of hooking up to the lift plate from both sides with 70_F100's outstanding knot advice!!!

On top is a Bowline, and on the bottom is a Bowline with a Figure Eight on its bitter end. I left these as-is despite their rescue knot nature. They seemed sturdy, and I had no trouble adjusting the tightness of the rope with the Taut Line Hitch knots on the other ends!

Since I was intent on reaching FE Specialties, I didn't take very many photos along the way. If Kasie comes next time I'll ask her to be my official photographer!

Here's I-680 North right before the Benicia Martinez Bridge.

A view of the Suisun Bay.

More updates tomorrow! Thanks very much for the superb guidance!
Robroy
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

Robroy wrote:The forth is that based on all the evidence I presented, Steve's (Proformance Unlimited) recommendation didn't change. I heard (from Steve) that an external cleaning would be sufficient and that pulling the motor apart would be overkill--he stuck firmly to that recommendation.
Probably because he doesn't want you to discover all the corners they cut. You'll soon find out from FE specialties. Good luck.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Wow, I'd love to have $9k to build a motor with... I doubt it would will be a 390 and definately wouldn't have iron heads...

Trick my dad taught me on tieing stuff down is make an overhead knot in your line half way between the two ends and loop the bitter end through the one fitting and back through the loop left by the overhand knot. Pull tension back to the fixture end and clamp the line around the loop to hold it while you make a knot. Hard to describe but...

Wow.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.