oil pumps

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

oil pumps

Post by aramil »

what is more benifical for an fe oil pump, high volume or high pressure.
i want to upgrade the oiling systrem because i was always told that it and the heads are an fe's biggest weakness.
72, f-100 ranger xlt, 360-c6, 2wd 84k miles.
77, ford f-150 custom 4x4, 400m-c6 SOLD

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
DuckRyder

Re: oil pumps

Post by DuckRyder »

Really, there is nothing wrong with either the oiling system ot heads for anything but an all out racing application.

Check out:

http://www.doveengineparts.com/documents/26.html and follow the "Insights Into The Ford FE" and "Tip's On Building An FE" links.

Also gess ford machine did at one time have a great article on the oiling suystem... but I'm having trouble finding it...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

this is just what a family member told me, he was refering to the oiling system and high rpms for long durations.

that sight has some good historical info too, i learned even more about the 427 then i ever knew,
and from what im understanding, its not the pumps, its the passageways.
72, f-100 ranger xlt, 360-c6, 2wd 84k miles.
77, ford f-150 custom 4x4, 400m-c6 SOLD

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The old gess ford machne article did explain how to modify the oil pump passage.

Assuming we are talking about a a street engine with normal clearances I would probably just go with a standard pump a good oil pan and some #90 jets in the head passages.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper