Help I have a fuel issue.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

jdricha5

Help I have a fuel issue.

Post by jdricha5 »

OK I just inherited a 1971 ford f250 custom. It has a 360 5.9 engine. The truck drives flawlessly but recently has had a rough idle so I had to screw in the idle screw to keep it running unassisted. Changed a filter going from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Its a see through inline filter.

I was wondering what could be causing my problem. When I give it gas it runs perfect nothing wrong. Has a small hiccup when I shift to 3rd and 4th. 2nd gear is perfect. I only use 1st for towing.

How can I adjust the fuel pump to dish out more fuel when idling if that's the problem. The idle screw is screwed in all the way so it doesn't kill the engine.

Also in the fuel filter I can see fuel sputtering into the filter. Could this be air being drawn in from the line coming from the tank to the fuel pump?

I need some help!!!!!

If you need any more information ill be glad to post.

Sincerely,
James Richards
1971 Ford F250 Camper Special 360 with 4 speed manual. Owned by my great grandfather then my grandfather now me.
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Help I have a fuel issue.

Post by mrtleavitt »

There is also a fuel filter in the fuel pump. Pull that out and look at it. It is in the can hanging off the pump, just screw it off with an oil filter wrench or channel locks. It's like $2 for a new one. If your filter by the carb was dirty then the one on the fuel pump will be worse. Give it a look. Also a stock fuel pump can't be adjusted.
jdricha5

Post by jdricha5 »

Alright ill check that in the morning if thats not it any ideas?
1971 Ford F250 Camper Special 360 with 4 speed manual. Owned by my great grandfather then my grandfather now me.
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by theskytoucher »

Which idle screws are you talking about?? The one that sets the idle or the air mixture on the sides of the carb? Cause if you screwed the air fuel mixture screws all the way in then there is your problem!!
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Don't take the filter off unless you have a new one or at least a new gasket, the gasket is generally swollen from the gas and you can;t get it back in the channel. I would also check for a vacuum leak, might be running lean at idle.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
jdricha5

Post by jdricha5 »

Ok its not a vacuum leak and I put the air and fuel mixture to normal settings (2 and a half turns).

Im getting fuel fine now from the fuel pump so its no longer a fuel issue.

But im still chuggin at idle. Whats next that I should check.

Fuel is fine so is anything exhaust could cause something. Or should I have the carb professionally rebuilt? Should I do a dip and rebuild the carb or should I get new carb?
jdricha5

Post by jdricha5 »

Now after a bout a minute it will just shut off. Im at a loss at what to do.

Any help?