engine questions about 302.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

engine questions about 302.

Post by rjewkes »

ok guys the oil pump rod apparantly dropped into th pan. Now if i start it up it drags fires and then chirp chirp chirp, Top end valve rattle and the chirp is constant with engine speed. i don't give it more than to get it to 800-1000 rpms i did this just long enough to see what is up 10-20 maybe 25 seconds. unless you think the chirp is a rod knocking , what are myoptions here? is it possable to install a new pump oil the pistons through the plug holes and go?

and rebuild 2-3 months down the road?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: engine questions about 302.

Post by fitzwell »

if you're running the motor without the pump, i would guess the "chirp" is some sort of metal on metal contact. If everything has been changed, possible something is blocking one of the oil passages. At any rate, i think it's time for the pan to come down. :(
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Your just beating a dead horse at this point, get the engine out and take it apart. If the piston bores aren't scored you may be able to salvage it with an autozone or NAPA crank kit until you can afford to build a new one.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
69bumptruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69bumptruck »

Chirping noise is most likely metal pieces on the verge of welding themselves together. I had an engine do the same thing, for about 5 minutes. Then it locked up. I wouldn't run it again until you drop the pan and fix it. :2cents:
David, owner of:
1969 F100 SWB (restoration in progress)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2317125
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Ok, Quesgtion is how did the pump rod drop on its own going down the road? is the diz and the pump strong enough to twist one in half?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
craftsman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by craftsman »

Yes, that is probably what has happened. :thup:
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yep, pull it, remove the oil pump and take it apart carefully you should find some trash binding the rotor. If you do clean and inspect the pickup screen very well. Whole it's possible the pressure relief valve bound up and the pump overloaded the drive shaft I would expect a burst oil filter first (seen this on a 454, very messy).

Either way, if you plan on trying to reuse it, pull it and take it completely apart. There will be metal all through the oil galleries and in all the nooks and crannies and it needs to be clean before trying again. :pray:

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.