Missing throttle linkage!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Fordlorn

Missing throttle linkage!

Post by Fordlorn »

I went to the wrecking yard and bought linkage for my '71 F100. I got what I thought I needed then I found a pic. of someone else's on this site. It seems I'm missing one rod and a bracket. I can see the two holes in the firewall where the bracket goes and I can see where the other end of the rod goes to the stationary portion of the "see-saw bracket" between the throttle pedal rod and the rod from the carb. What is this stationary rod for? I can only assume it is some sort of adjusment. And that seems to be a rather unusual arrangement, what with the engine rolling over a little in the engine compt.! :hmm:
Rednecks, white trucks and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer!
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Missing throttle linkage!

Post by ezernut9mm »

like td said, you can run a single piece of linkage from the pedal to the carb, but you will "feel" the engine in the pedal. most people don't seemed bothered by this, but i was when i ran a one piece so i went back to the "trapeze" set up. a gas pedal and cable linkage out of a 78/79 will work too. i am wanting to try this. i think the cable will isolate the engine movement from the pedal and give a better result than the one piece metal linkage.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
Fordlorn

Post by Fordlorn »

Pictures of the homemade linkage would be nice. If it's truely simpler and more user friendly I'd definitely go for it. Is there any real drawback to the stock set-up? And I still don't know what that stationary rod is all about. Anyone? :help:
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

it's not really homemade, it's just a piece of linkage i had laying around off of something else. you'll notice that it has to attach to the top of the carb pivot because the original linkage pushes the throttle plates open whereas this way it pulls them open:
at the top (pulling)

at the bottom (pushing):

wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
Fordlorn

Post by Fordlorn »

Ah, ha! Looks very uncomplicated. However, you lose the magically whimsical nature of the "see-saw" set-up. :lol: