Clean my old gas tank or buy a new one?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

I mailed Bob Drake (restoration parts for earlier Fords made in Oregon, USA) about a gas tank, since he makes them for earlier vehicles, and he recommended this place:

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com

I called them and they said they could custom make a stainless tank for around $750, and that it'd take about a month to do.

Considering that it's stainless, totally custom made and 100% Made in USA this price seems startling at first but makes sense once it's thought over.

It's probably not the route I'll take but it is interesting to know it exists.

-Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

I just heard back from Dennis Carpenter--their gas tank is made in Taiwan. So it looks like there's no reason to pay an extra $100 to buy from them as compared to LMC's $200 tank.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Clean my old gas tank or buy a new one?

Post by robroy »

Hi Folks!

So I finally removed the old gas tank, popped out the sending unit, and had a good look inside--and I found treasure in there!

Two items of treasure to be precise: a 11/16" 12 point socket and a locking gas cap! They were rattling around in there like frozen gophers in a globe. And they were miraculously preserved by the gasoline.

The inside of the tank looked pretty clean. The walls looked totally clean, in fact. Only the seam at the bottom of the tank was red/brown with a hint of rust.

I'm thinking of using the POR-15 gas tank product on this tank and calling that good enough.

Based on my description of the rust condition, does this seem appropriate? Or should a tank with any visible rust in it be swapped out without hesitation?

Thanks for the great advice folks!
-Robroy
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

The seam inside the tank looks rusty? Or the outside? I wouild bet its old gas that has gummed up and turned brown.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Mike! It's on the inside, and you could be right! It could just be old gas.

Thanks Mike,
-Robroy
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

By all means try cleaning it. Get a gallon of pool acid at the hardware store. Mix with 10/1 pt's water or so, and
fill it up. Takes the rust out nice. Let sit from an hour to overnight depending just how crusty it is.
Flush out with water. If you got air, blow it out dry, or set it in the sun. Now you will see if theres any
holes in it that leak. They make coatings you can put in/slosh around that keep the inside from rusting, though
you would have to google it yourownself. It's blue in color. Works ok. Used it before. Jake
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hi Jake! Thanks for your suggestion!

Since I've heard good things about the POR-15 gas tank repair kit I ordered it to give it a shot.

It includes Marine Clean (removes gum/varnish/old gas), Metal Ready (removes Rust), and sealer.

Total cost was $83 with shipping. I'll take photos of the process and let ya'll know how it turns out!

Thanks again for all the great advice,
-Robroy