Why do we install carbureted engines in our Fords?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: re: Why do we install carbureted engines in our Fords?

Post by SteveC »

willowbilly3 wrote:Hi, just checking in after being gone a spell. Must be the full moon, sure lots of you guys acting like peoiple never used to act on here. I guess that's why a lot of the old guys kinda quit coming around.
FORDification wrote:I agree....that we can disagree and still be civil about it. Insults, name-calling and/or sarcasm is not appreciated by most, and certainly isn't going to win anyone over to your way of thinking.
not to add fuel to a fire but :yt: i havent even been here long and this kinda of stuff over efi and carb and people that just want to try something different getting put down seems a little out of line...
i come here to this site to learn and help others learn and once in a while just chat peacefully with other folks not to watch agruments. Like keith said cant we all just agree to disagree nicelly
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Why do we install carbureted engines in our Fords?

Post by rubiranch »

I owned a Lincoln Versailles with a 2700 VV and my wife drove it every day, it ran like a million bucks. The variable-venturi carb is the next best thing to FI.

A VV is basically a side draft carb like used on imports and motorcycles, it's just a "down draft" instead of a side draft carb.

Like I mentioned before they never made a VV large enough to feed a 390.

Atmospheric pressure pushes fuel through a carburetor, vacuum doesn't suck the fuel through.

I still like the idea about a GM throttle body FI on a FE motor. :thup:

I agree that this will be a topic to agree to disagree on. All of the FI vehicles I have owned have been trouble free and a lot more driveable than my carbureted ones.

Fuel injection has it's limits, just like carburetors. The race car with the modified factory FI didn't flow enough fuel and a large carb did. I'm sure there is an aftermarket FI system that would flow enough fuel. Carbs have the same problem, it it's not big enough you just buy a bigger one, it just doesn't cost as much as a bigger FI system.
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

rubiranch wrote: I still like the idea about a GM throttle body FI on a FE motor. :thup:

Howell Fuel injection.

http://www.howellefi.com/shop/customer/ ... 252&page=1

r/

eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

71PA_Highboy wrote:
rubiranch wrote: I still like the idea about a GM throttle body FI on a FE motor. :thup:

Howell Fuel injection.

http://www.howellefi.com/shop/customer/ ... 252&page=1

r/

eric
Thanks for the link, nice looking kit. :thup:
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

That's not a bad price at all for 100% complete bolt on TBI.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Why do we install carbureted engines in our Fords?

Post by Jake11 »

Jake
Last edited by Jake11 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

FORDification wrote:Insults, name-calling
nope, I wouldn't blame them for leaving either.

:fr:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Jake11 wrote:Your sure right Keith. It has gone downhill bigtime. Thats why I quit
coming here. You should the PM's I get from these people. A lot of the
people that made this forum great seem to have split. Don't blame
them. Jake 8)
You just got another PM...from me this time.

And now let's get this train back on track and keep it on-topic. I'm actually learning a lot and appreciate all the input (from those who have contributed useful info). :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Freightrain

Re: Why do we install carbureted engines in our Fords?

Post by Freightrain »

Ok, I jumped onto this a bit late, skimmed a couple pages and thought I'd add my :2cents:

Personally I don't like FI stuff, at least in the hot rodding sense. If you want a nice simple stock cruiser, then go to it. What ever floats your boat, I'll stick to a pair of Holleys. There again, like mentioned plenty of times: "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$". Even a stand alone system, plus 8 injectors, a few electrical sensors, high pressure fuel pump, lines, and all the little trinkets to make it all work is still too much money(in my eyes).

A fellow here at work likes his older Porches. I helped him finish up the ignition system on his last project. 70's 911, turbo, MSD ignition and MegaSquirt fuel injection system. It took him most of the summer to get the "tune up" correct, but it does run nice. It's not a simple bolt on, though he did use Ford injectors, throttle body and some generic sensors. Fuel mapping is not for the faint of heart and likely there is NO bolt on system for a modified FE that will run right outta the bag.

It all can be done, but don't expect it to run as simple as bolting on a carb and adjusting a/f mixture.
Bump'n along.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Well here we are. Got a 302 to put a vvc2700 on to compare drivability to a "old fashion" Carter AFB.
Ran into a small snag. They "vvc2700" are rated unobtainium at the local yards. Research will continue.
If a forum member has a operating vvc they could lend for this experiment???

Jake :wink:
edselehr

Post by edselehr »

Averagef250, I need to run down and have you take a look at my 77 crew cab with 300six and four speed (I'm also "Portlandish"). I keep hearing the greatest things about 300's when set up right, but mine's a dog and I'm getting frustrated with it. Granted, it's running it's stock carb, but I want to get it running decent without a whole lot of $$. I want to be able to tow a medium size travel trailer without dropping to 3rd or 2nd on every little incline. I know not to expect V8 performance out of a six, but I really think this engine should be doing better, along with the fact it's in a big crew cab.
Brett6269
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Brett6269 »

I wouldnt put fuel injection on my 69, if i wanted a new truck ide buy one!!!! Is fuel inj better you bet it is BUT i want nastalgia with my 69!!! give me manual steering and brakes i luv it!!!!!! I own a new gt stang for modern tire smokin!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :fr:
lover of old fords
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

Jake11 wrote:Well here we are. Got a 302 to put a vvc2700 on to compare drivability to a "old fashion" Carter AFB.
Ran into a small snag. They "vvc2700" are rated unobtainium at the local yards. Research will continue.
If a forum member has a operating vvc they could lend for this experiment???

Jake :wink:
I have a few nice ones like this one.

According to your previous posts you never could make them work right so why
do you want another one? I'd stick to what works for you. :wink:

Sorry, I'll pass on the donation. :D

:fr:
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

edselehr wrote:Averagef250, I need to run down and have you take a look at my 77 crew cab with 300six and four speed (I'm also "Portlandish"). I keep hearing the greatest things about 300's when set up right, but mine's a dog and I'm getting frustrated with it. Granted, it's running it's stock carb, but I want to get it running decent without a whole lot of $$. I want to be able to tow a medium size travel trailer without dropping to 3rd or 2nd on every little incline. I know not to expect V8 performance out of a six, but I really think this engine should be doing better, along with the fact it's in a big crew cab.
A stocker 1V 300 should move your truck around just fine. In my experience, a carb 300 is pretty close in peak power to the EFI version, but the EFI has far better off idle power and cold driveability. Iron log intake manifolds don't like cold starts. You're very welcome to come by. My shop is right off I-5, south of Wilsonville.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
j41385
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by j41385 »

I would like to some time, if only to BS while the Girls are at Frys.
1968 F100 Took the running 390 out, and installed a Built 300 with AOD.
Engine Video... http://youtube.com/watch?v=2xgYd2u79NU

Image Image