ruined 390

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: ruined 390

Post by Blue Cloud »

It's the stock cast iron intake from the original 360. I'll be going back with the 2 barrel carb that I rebuilt myself when I first bought the truck, it worked good on the 360 until I put in the 390 that's in there now. I know the 2 barrel was done right and ran good. I might even get alittle better MPG. What I was wondering was what the best brand of gasket to go with and the best method to install it. My old Haynes repair manual shows where to apply a bead of RTV sealant, I was wondering there was any little "tricks" or "tips" that will help. Don't want to have to do it twice. :doh:
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

i use felpro
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

Here's the stand, probably alittle tippy but so am I.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: ruined 390

Post by BobbyFord »

Blue Cloud wrote:Here's the stand, probably alittle tippy but so am I.
That one should be pretty sturdy with the two wheels up front... :thup:
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: ruined 390

Post by 1971ford »

Blue Cloud wrote:Here's the stand, probably alittle tippy but so am I.
your fine, two wheels up front and a gusset at the 90*. :thup:
well i hope your fine because ive got a complete 429 (even wtih fluids :D ) on the same stand :D
-Ryan
AlleyCat
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by AlleyCat »

BC, on the gaskets I'd suggest Victor. IMHO Felpro used to be top notch but their quality isn't what it used to be. :( As for installation tips here's a couple that work for me. :)

Make sure the surfaces are clean. Even a film of oil will prevent sealers and adhesives from working as they are supposed to. I use spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the sealing surfaces.

End seals - These can be a PITA when they slip out. I use yellow weather strip adhesive and glue them to the block. If you do this give it at least a half hour to dry before you set the intake. Another thing that works well on FE end seals is to use a center punch to put 5 or 6 divots on the sealing surfaces. This gives the end seal something to grip.

Side gaskets - I use a thin bead of good quality silicone sealer around the water ports then set the gaskets in place. Be sure to put short beads of silicone where the gaskets meet the end seals.

Setting the manifold on - Use a shop crane or get help. It's hard not to bang the gaskets while trying to set an 80 lb chunk of cast iron straight down. Before you set it though I'd suggest a bead of weather strip adhesive on top of the end seals and another thin bead of silicone on the water ports.

Again don't forget the corners. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :oops:
Clay

72 F100 4x2 Custom,289, C4 " Slow Ride "
70 F250 4x2 Ranger XLT , 360, C6 "B52 - IV"
96 F150 4x2 XL, 300, E4OD, daily driver

" Professional Wrecker Operators - We Pull for America "
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

I finally got the news that the guy selling the motors for the person that owns them is picking it up on monday. It seems like it taking forever to make this deal but at least it happening. Thanks for the info Alleycat, just want to make sure the intake doesn't leak like my old motor. :thup:
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

SH*T!! Didn't happen today. Now I'm told maybe Tue or Wed. :x
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Bah I hate deals that drag esp when ready to get er done.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I haven't torn down the engine to make sure, but right now I'm waiting on this "NEW" engine. I'll save the old 390 to rebuild later. I just couldn't pass up on a $400 'new" motor, although it's been a pain in the ass waiting on this to happen. Just too good a deal to pass up. The screws were that were gone were the ones that hold the bowl on from the bottom, they were gone and had to go somewhere and had to go down the intake into the heads. I wont know more until I get into I get into it, but has to be bad either way. Right now I'm waiting for this motor, what an ordeal! Hopefully It will happen Tue or Wed. until then I've been thinking on what to replace and what to keep. I want to get a new oil pump and shaft, I'll need a gasket kit for the new 390, The water pump and fuel pump were replaced 2 years ago, so they should be good, the motor mounts were good 2 years ago, the clutch was replaced 2 years ago, I'll look that over. I can't think of any thing else right now. Just pacing back and forth, wring my hands and waiting!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

i used felpro's on my 302's intake. with a bead of rtv on the end gaskets top and bottom of the gasket and let it get tacky and the thin layer around the waterports, heck i rtved the intake ports too.

Torqued them and so far no leaks. gonna have to redo them after i get valve work done burns oil at startup.

sorry to hijack it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

I got the engine today! :woohoo: I had to go get it myself but it's here. I got tired of dealing with 2 or 3 different people and drove 90 or 100 miles one way and picked it up myself. It's not a "new" motor, but a rebuild, but even a rebuilt long block for $400.00 is O.K. with me! Still in the shipping crate, wrapped in plastic. I didn't uncrate it yet, I'll do that and check it all out tomorrow.
truckguy

Post by truckguy »

Cool it about time. Seem to take forever. :thup:
Kyle
Image ImageImage
1986 F-150 300
1972 f-250 360 PS,PB
1970 F-350 360 PB
1969 f-250 390 CS,ranger, PS,PDB,AC
1968 F-350 360 PB
1968 f-250 360 PB
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/truckguy_02/
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

Yeah, It did seem to take forever! But it happened, there's still a few motors sitting out there, 2 390's that I know of but this guys got more. They're like his private stash, he wants to sell them, but only if they are going to go to the right place. He asked me what kind of truck it was going in and I got the the feeling that if I answered wrong I wasn't going to get the engine! There was 4 or five bump sides sitting around and two old broncos in the shop. They
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

OOPS! Any way they acted like they don't want to sell them to just any body, only those that "deserve" them. I told him I had a 71 F250 4x4 and then that was O.K. which seemed a little weird at the time but maybe thats what it was, he would only sell a motor to the right person. Like you had to "deserve" it. Kinda weird accually, but thats how I felt. All in all, a strange day indeed!